iOS14.5 Impact on Facebook Advertising
On 26th April 2021 Apple’s iOS 14.5 privacy update launched, impacting all platforms that rely on data collection for advertising like Snapchat, TikTok, Amazon, and Facebook. For business owners and Digital Marketers, it will be more difficult to reach our target audience, remarket and deliver relevant ads. Bit of a headache for businesses who up to now relied on the tech giants like Facebook to scale their businesses.
For the first time we can now control how our online activity is seen. So, if we choose to opt out of tracking, we can still browse as normal, but our data will not be tracked like it used to be. You may have noticed seeing less ads as you scroll through Facebook? This is why.
So far, Facebook has been very transparent with how these changes will impact ads. Our advice, make the most of their honesty, as we have all learned, things in the domain of the biggest tech giants change without warning!
This impact on ads will be most obvious around 3 core performance related areas:
1. Conversion tracking – Conversion tracking will have more restrictions, but Facebook is working on some new features in its business manager to combat this.
2. Ad Objectives – remarketing campaigns designed to target traffic from your website will be impacted if the user has chosen to opt out.
3. Reporting – real time reporting is gone.
Reduce the Impact
With Facebook there are a few ways you can start to reduce the impact of iOS14.5
1. Verify your domain in Event Manager
2. Use lookalike audiences to test and build new audiences
3. Prioritise the eight conversion events that are most important for your business
If you want to really work on protecting your business assets there are other ways you can be proactive and avoid losing leads and potential clients.
1. Use Android campaigns: the iOS 14.5 update only affects Apple devices and users.
2. Leverage your websites analytics to understand where your visitors are coming from and use this data to your advantage.
3. Develop a stronger organic social media and content strategy to strengthen your brand.
4. Build your mailing list – this is gold for every business.
The waiting game
We are still unsure what big businesses like Google and Facebook will do in response to the iOS14.5 update. What is certain however, is that it has never been more important for businesses to adapt their approach and ensure they diversify their digital marketing channels.
Ready to grow your business with powerful advertising?
About the Author
Genie is a passionate writer, soon to be author, and one of the cogs that keep the machine turning here at Flabbergast.
Hailing from Ireland, she opted for a backpack and round the world ticket in 2010 and managed to stumble across Melbourne on her adventures. She loves to create funny, upbeat content that brings the story of any brand to life before your very eyes. When she is not busy finding new and interesting ways to inject a little WOW into content, she can be found fan-girling on Brené Brown or spoiling her two dogs!